There are many things we can do to reduce energy consumption. For example:
1. Keep doors closed to reduce the energy consumed for heating and cooling the building.
2. Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
3. Turn off equipment and computers while not in use.
Even a small water bath can consume as much energy as a dishwasher every hour.
4. Turn off and close biosafety cabinets in BSL2 laboratories when not in use.
5. An ultra-low temperature freezer uses as much energy as an average household every day.
Reduce the electricity your freezer consumes by:
- Tuning the temperature to -70C reduces energy use by 30% and it is generally safe for bacterial, fungi, DNA, RNA and tissue samples
For more information about safe storage at -70C, visit: www.mygreenlab.org/energy
- Keeping an inventory to minimize time the freezer is open while you find your sample
- Defrosting your freezers regularly